An article by renowned Turkish historian and researcher Prof Yalcin Kucuk reveals the following regarding Turkish FM Ahmet Davutoglu’s Crimean-Karaite Jewish origin:
– The Karaite Jewish community of Crimea is descended from ethnic Tatars that adopted Judaism as part of the Khazar Kingdom during the 8th-9th centuries.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_Karaites
– In the course of the 19th and early 20th centuries, a number of Crimean-Karaite families emigrated to today’s Turkey. Some of them started identifying themselves as secular Sunni-Turks and reached elite positions in the new Turkish Republic.
– Davudoff or Davutoglu — the latter meaning Son-of-David in Turkish — is a well-known Crimean-Karaite family name, in connection with Anan Ben-David who founded the Karaite sect in Baghdad in the 8th century.
– Davutoglu’s wife Sare (Sara), daughters Sefure and Buke, and grand-daughter Aybike, all have traditional Crimean-Karaite names.
– As part of a tradition of marrying within the community, Davutoglu’s daughter Sefure is married to Ahmet Ozokur, scion of another Crimean-Karaite family. The family name Ozokur represents Turkish translation of “Pure Karaite” (Pure Reader) from Hebrew.
– Son-in-law Ahmet Ozokur’s mother, Ahsen (Ulker) Ozokur, is 960th on Forbes’ list of billionaires and one of two sibling heirs to the multibillion-dollar Ulker food empire. The Ulker family is known to be of Crimean-Karaite origin, while the family’s matriarch and mother to the two Ulker heirs is Jewish, hailing from the Istanbul’s Sephardic-Jewish community. The Ulker family is currently considered among the wealthiest backers and beneficiaries of Turkey’s pro-Islamist AKP regime.
– As to the known ethnic origins of the remainder of top AKP leadership:
— PM Tayyip Erdogan: Self-admitted ethnic Georgian from Black Sea port of Batum; family settled in Potamia village near Turkey’s Eastern Black Sea port of Rize;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recep_Tayyip_Erdo%C4%9Fan
— Erdogan’s wife Emine (Gulbaran) Erdogan: Sabbatean-Jewish origin from Syria’s Aleppo region; family settled in ethnic-Kurdish town of Siirt in Southeastern Turkey;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emine_Erdo%C4%9Fan
— Abdullah Gul (President): Syrian-Arab origin; family settled in Kayseri region a century ago; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_G%C3%BCl
— Gul’s wife Hayrunnisa (Ozyurt) Gul: Converted Armenian origin from Kayseri area;
— Ali Babacan (former FM and current Deputy PM): Sabbatean-Jewish origin from Istanbul, family later moved to Ankara and established sizeable textile business;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Babacan
— Bulent Arinc (former Speaker of Parliament and current Deputy PM): Sabbatean-Jewish origin from Aegean region; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulent_Arinc
— Cemil Cicek (former Deputy PM and current Speaker of Parliament): Crimean-Karaite origin.
For further information on Turkey’s Sabbatean community:
Link to Prof Kucuk’s original Turkish-language article on FM Ahmet Davutoglu’s ethnic background:
About Prof Yalcin Kucuk (himself of Sabbatean-Jewish origin from Syria):
Envoyé de mon iPad 2
Prof. Dr. Murat Kunt
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology